Course duration: 5 Days
Duration: 1-5 days (subject to units undertaken)
This course includes NRSWA – New Roads and Street Works – for Operatives Units 1-6 & 9
Who Should Attend?
This programme is designed for Operatives who carry out excavation, backfill and reinstatement of various materials for undertaking street works.
To provide delegates with the skills and knowledge to perform operative duties to the standards prescribed by City & Guilds in-line with the NRSW Act 1991, in order to safeguard themselves and others.
01. Location of underground apparatus
02. Signing, lighting and guarding
03. Excavation in the highway
04. Reinstatement of compaction and backfill materials
05. Reinstatement of sub-base and roadbase non-bituminous materials
06. Reinstatement of cold-lay bituminous materials
07. Reinstatement of hot-lay bituminous materials – * NOT INCLUDED *
08. Reinstatement of concrete slabs – * NOT INCLUDED *
09. Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
01. Excavation in the highway (Units 1-3)
02. Excavation, backfill & reinstatement of construction layers with a bituminous surface (Units 1-6)
03. Reinstatement of construction layers in hot-lay and cold-lay bituminous materials (Units 1, 2, 6 & 7)
04. Reinstatement of concrete slabs (Units 1, 2 & 8)
05. Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways (Units 1, 2 & 9)
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
Summarise the requirements of the NRSW Act 1991
Select appropriate personal protective and safety equipment as required to carry out street works activities
Perform duties of each unit and/or qualification as prescribed by City & Guilds standards in-line with current legislation, and ACOP where applicable
Provide a safe working environment for themselves and others
A high proportion of group exercises with continuous oral and practical assessments, supplemented with video and classroom based tutorials.
A training group may contain a mix of both Operatives and Supervisors. Sessions will be varied within the overall framework to allow the most effective development of the candidate.
There are 9 units for Operatives and a separate certificate is issued for each. In addition, various combinations of the units will lead to a full Street Works qualification for which an SWQR card will be awarded.
Delegates should provide a passport photograph on the day of training for production of SWQR Cards.